Hachiroku.net | Forums
Go Back   Hachiroku.net | Forums > Main Category > Tech and Performance
Reload this Page Rearend(LSD) Rebuild Questions

(#1) Old
Coupe Sprinter

Default Rearend(LSD) Rebuild Questions - 11-06-2007, 05:33 PM

Looking to rebuilding my stock AE86 kouki LSD.
I'm piecing together the parts I need w/o changing any bearings or ring/pinion for now.

If I get the T3 rebuild kit ($150) it includes:
2 clutch plates
2 "outer" thrust washers/plates
2 "inner" thrust washer/plates
4 member springs

All parts are said to be "extra thick."
Wouldn't this cause premature wear?

If not I'll just pull the third member and mic the outer plate thickness. Then just pick up the parts from Toyota, but I spent more that $150 last time.
  Send a message via AIM to Coupe Sprinter  
  (#2) Old
WeirPerformance

Default 11-06-2007, 07:40 PM

Being "extra thick" won't cause any premature wear. But being "extra thick" means they may not physicaly fit into your LSD case. We have installed these kits for customers before and have had to machine the LSD casing in order to get the clearance within the LSD correct. Also, it is a myth that thicker plates will lock the LSD firmer or harder. There is nothing wrong with these parts, just keep in mind you will have to check the clearances when you install them. The FSM has detailed instructions on how that is done.

Spence Weir
Weir Performance Engineering LLC
707-315-6638

(#3) Old
shininglight

Default 11-07-2007, 11:45 AM

so does anyoen know if these improve lock up?

(#4) Old
WeirPerformance

Default 11-07-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shininglight View Post
so does anyoen know if these improve lock up?
If your LSD clutch plates are worn out and you rebuild it with this kit it will improve lock up. It will not lock harder than a LSD that is in good condition.

(#5) Old
Coupe Sprinter

Default 11-07-2007, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the info. Looks like a worthy investment.
Do you know the thickness specs of each plate DCPerformance?
If not I should just email T3 directly.
  (#6) Old
RTN

Default 11-07-2007, 07:28 PM

I've heard that both T3's and P.a.s.s. Racing's LSD rebuild kits use factory Toyota parts.
They include the thickest (1.85mm) available outer plates, or "adjusting washers". It is these two outer plates that are "extra thick".

The two outer plates usually vary in thickness (from 1.60mm-1.85mm).
To find out their original spec. thickness, there should be a number (1 thru 6) stamped on one of the "tabs" on each plate.
This # corresponds with the factory thickness of your specific LSD (See page RA-28).

Here's some pages from the FSM to help:
RA-25
RA-26
RA-27
RA-28

Thicker plates sound like they work better, but wouldn't it hinder the locking action of the LSD?
I guess it's like DC said, if the work is done properly and the clearences are correct, then you should have a properly working LSD.

(#7) Old
WeirPerformance

Default 11-07-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe Sprinter View Post
Thanks for the info. Looks like a worthy investment.
Do you know the thickness specs of each plate DCPerformance?
If not I should just email T3 directly.
The info RTN provided is correct. You can see the numbers he has described through the small "windows" on each end of the LSD. You will see a number on one tab of the plate and can determine the thickness from that number.

Now, the reason these plates are available in a range of thicknesses is for factory asembling. Not every LSD casing will be exactly the same length therefore they need different thickness plates to accomodate the slight tolereance differences for individual cases. The goal is to achieve enough clearance within the LSD for oil to get between the plates during operation. If you have zero clearance, that means you have no "space" for the oil. If you try to set it at zero you will soon have a rebuilt LSD with burned and gauld plates. The factory clearance specs and description on how to measure the clearances is all in the FSM.

Spence Weir
Weir Performance Engineering LLC
707-315-6638

(#8) Old
shininglight

Default 11-08-2007, 08:58 PM

so does anyoen have experiences installing on a factory kouki? do they make these for zenki?

(#9) Old
Coupe Sprinter

Default 11-13-2007, 07:03 PM

Thanks for posting DCPerformance and Rylan.
I think I can get each plate for ~$30-$40 from Toyota individually.
I'll just rip out the 3rd member this weekend, want to have it done before the next SOLO II event.