Hachiroku.net | Forums
Go Back   Hachiroku.net | Forums > Main Category > Tech and Performance
Reload this Page 4ag ring land sizes.. any 4ager must read!!!

(#1) Old
grey_20vae86

Default 4ag ring land sizes.. any 4ager must read!!! - 08-17-2006, 11:28 AM

Alrighty, so heres the scoop..

trying to get rings for my late model ae92 GZE and since they are not in america, i tried usdm mr2 supercharger rings... problem 1:
the pistons ring lands on a supercharged us mr2 are .5 for the top ring, .5 for middle, and 1.0 for the bottom oil ring..
WHILE my ae92 GZE has a .2 top ring, .5 middle and 1.0 bottom

internals are basically the same between a high comp smallport and 8.9:1 GZE, so are the rings the same? seems like something toyota changed in 1990... WHAT DO I DO ABOUT RINGS!??!? maybe someone with some HIGH COMP and LATE GZE knowledge could look at some pistons laying around and make some comparisons.. thank you

(#2) Old
oldeskewltoy

Default 08-17-2006, 11:52 AM

13011-16210 are the rings for the 1991 - 1995 4AGZE. Try a few dealers see if you can get them.... I'f not send an email to support@alamomotorsports.com , they can get them from Japan. Those rings are about $150 for the set.

BTW... those are for standard cylinder bore

Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

"Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be."

- Thomas a Kempis
  Send a message via Yahoo to oldeskewltoy  
  (#3) Old
grey_20vae86

Default 08-17-2006, 12:01 PM

danny dan dan you are the man!! i have been searching for hours!! where do you find these golden part numbers?

(#4) Old
oldeskewltoy

Default 08-17-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_turboae86
danny dan dan you are the man!! i have been searching for hours!! where do you find these golden part numbers?
I've collected them for YEARS!!!! Everytime I see any parts or details to 4AG, I keep a copy. If I find two or more sources using the same numbers, I can feel confident that it is at the very least close.... I then check the numbers with emails I've answered for CAP/Alamo the last 6 years! That is where I got the price...(guess to be fair) CAP(I) quoted a guy about a year ago on those parts... so I'm guessing about 10% more...

my "library" is approaching 2 GIGS! Now to be fair that isn't all 4AGE... that is my entire library. 4AGE stuff is a bit over 150 megs(most of that is the 84 manual I got online

"Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be."

- Thomas a Kempis
  (#5) Old
grey_20vae86

Default 08-17-2006, 02:08 PM

collector!! I tried that part number at my dealership and they sadi that part number didnt bring up anything... any more ideas? thanks

(#6) Old
grey_20vae86

Default 08-17-2006, 02:19 PM

tried 3 more dealerships in the NW including Burien with still no luck...
anyone got any high comp pistons laying around, that they can check the size of the ring lands?? Thank you! .2 top .5 middle 1.0 bottom

(#7) Old
oldeskewltoy

Default 08-17-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_turboae86
collector!! I tried that part number at my dealership and they sadi that part number didnt bring up anything... any more ideas? thanks
They are a good number... just NOT available in the USA. Send Alamo an email... they can get them for you......

- Thomas a Kempis
  (#8) Old
grey_20vae86

Default 08-17-2006, 02:49 PM

Quote:
They are a good number... just NOT available in the USA. Send Alamo an email... they can get them for you......
i did end up emailing alamo and asking, but in the mean time i went to toymods.org.au and let me tell you those aussies know all..

with a simple and quick search and number of people had asked the same question

seems that toyota kept the same ring design on the bluetop, early redtop (bigport) and 1st gen 4AGZE all had the same size rings on the top and middle rings.. Then Toyota changed the smallport highcomp, in 1990 and this is where i found my answer. After toyota changed in 1990 they havent since so a lot of people use the smallport rings for the later model gze's ... im pretty sure that you could even use the smallport rings on a silver or blacktop without it making a difference too. just an FYI!

sorry for the long explanitory but it is something that people like me might want to know later. Thank you -Marc

(#9) Old
oldeskewltoy

Default 08-17-2006, 03:05 PM

I won't argue with people who have used something successfully... but???
13011-16350 - blk top rings
13011-16230 - slvr top rings
13011-16210 - late S/C rings
13011-16200 - redtop rings

Now I can see the redtop rings, "becoming" the s/c set... the 16200 number is close enough to the 16210 number to have superceded it. But there MUST be another difference somewhere....... maybe in type of top rings?? Not thickness, but metal they are made from.....

- Thomas a Kempis
  (#10) Old
grey_20vae86

Default 08-17-2006, 03:28 PM

thats a good point too, but sounds to me like toyota felt like overcharging people for their application. Just kiddin', but no seriously.. I ordered the smallport ring so we will see when they get here. If they fit in the lands, I am stoked because this is a pain in the ass