Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OST-016: Supporting one who supports us

Picked up this past Saturday.........

Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

"Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be."

- Thomas a Kempis

i might have a head for you to take a look at this summer, mainly needs port matching and making sure its all flowing properly. but there isnt much more room for porting i dont think.

Comment

I'm easily found........

I've titled this head build Supporting One Who Supports Us..... He is overseas... He is currently stationed overseas, and should be home by spring KEEP your head down!!!

"Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be."

- Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Ok... lets play a little game.

How much information is in just these 3 photos + the one in Grunt's trunk that tell us something... and how much is just a repeat of normal... normal

Each view offers us information, it is up to us to "read" it.

So tell me what you see????

- Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Dan always having fun with his little head games...
          1986 Corolla GTS 103hp/94 lb-ft
          1993 Saturn SW2

Comment

Did anyone notice the WRONG bolt in the front cam cap exhaust side?

Did anyone notice the 5 spoke cam pulleys? I know the 5 spoke pulleys were newer than the AE86 version of the 4AGE... that would make it mid to late aw11 production??? (If original)

An interesting question to ask/still to be answered... since they are 5 spoke timing pulleys, are those early cams(204@.050" 7.5mm lift) or are they later cams (198@.050" 7.1mm lift) ?????

How close did you check the exhaust side? Did you see the oil galley plug? Is it an early type(screw in) type, or is it a later (pressed-in ball) type? Do you know WHAT an oil galley plug is??

Lets try again... here are a few other photos.... what do these tell you???

For example... did the owner manitain this engine well? Did he change the oil often? Can you tell if the oil level ever was low?

In this view... has this head been cut yet? Many times?

Looking at the valves, would you say this engine had many miles? Why?

- Thomas a Kempis

Comment

If this customer wants any parts to go with that build, let me know. They're his at cost.

From a vet to a servicemember.

Comment

Originally posted by killer_siller View Post
                If this customer wants any parts to go with that build, let me know. They're his at cost.

From a vet to a servicemember.

- Thomas a Kempis

Comment

That's awesome Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by member of another forum
                    it's actually an ae92 head.

the water outlet on the first picture gives it away.... it's not a smallport so 88-89.

Given that it's a bigport it's probably a US engine -- can tell based on the coloration of the head.... there isn't much oil built up on the cam caps (though there usually isn't on bigports).

Doesn't look like there were any major oil leaks.... except there was a bit of a dizzy leak.

As usual there was an issue with the manifold - there is some exhaust soot built up on the exhaust side.

The valves don't look damaged... but there is definite build up... guessing those are the intake valves and cheap gas was used or the rings weren't exceptional and there was additonal blowby & oil was coming in through the TB/intake.

The head mating surface comparison photo.... comparing to a smallport head.

Thank you for playing our game!!!!!

Also... thank you for the specifics on the head itself. I'm not as educated on the transverse applications as I should be

Being that it is for an AE92 application, then the 5 spoke timing pulleys likely belong with the head.... I wonder... are they 204@.050" 7.5mm lift cams, or are they 198@.050" 7.1mm lift cams

The head surface is indeed compared to a smallport, but the surface shows a DEEP cut, I used that DEEP cut view to show that this head is either uncut, or minimally cut.

It's Amazing... when you are grungie... how much better you look once you've taken a shower......

OST-016 ready for work...

intake side...

exhaust side...

some built up carbon remains, this will be removed as work progresses

and finally...

before........

and after........ a good cleaning

- Thomas a Kempis

Comment

hey... I'm on this forum too....

I've never noticed the difference in timing pulleys.....

the later bigports should have the larger cams in them. I thought, though, there were 3 variants with the early bigport being the largest and continually getting a tad smaller as they got newer... (could be wrong... I've never mic'd stock ones)
                      1) 2004 IS300 SportDesign 5sp Manual, LSD
                      2) 1988 Corolla AllTrac Manual, beater
                      3) 1970 FJ40, frame off something...

Comment

All I noticed in the first pictures were that there was oil varnish all over the cams, which gives me the impression that it was run low on oil and/or hot, and not necessarily changed enough.

The valve guide seals on the exhaust side may have needed replacing, the soot inside the ports looks a little "wet" in the trunk picture.

Judging by the wear patterns on the varnished oil on the cam lobes, that sucker seriously needed the shims adjusted.

then the next set of pictures, you can see some "dimples" in the tips of the valve stems. there shouldn't be dimples there as far as I know. I think there are a LOT of miles on those valves. everything below the valve guide seems to be no longer smooth, but I can't tell if it's just buildup or if the surface has been abraded over time.

Those are just some of my thoughts. Dangit, makin' me think all analytically, instead of just cruising along in zone-out mode. Now I need a nap. lol!

--sarge
                        4AGE + AE86 = FUN

Comment

Originally posted by SgtRauksauff View Post
                          Now I need a nap. lol!

--sarge
                          naps? There's no napping in head porting!

(stolen, and butched... from some Tom Hanks movie)

Well, the cleaning bit is done, and now on to actual work.....

Before.....

....After.

Huh?? WTF?? Before? After? why post the same view twice.... because there IS a difference!! Work has been performed!!!

In case you didn't see it... here is a closer view. The casting flash...

....and sharp edges has been removed.

Now look again at the overall view 2 panel... if you look carefully, you can see all 16 bucket braces have been worked, as well as the gaps between each cylinders bucket grouping. In fact, I removed 95% of the sharp edges, and over cast flash from all over the head, not just inside.

Moving on to much more familiar work... #4 intake bowl 3 panel...... The top view is prior to beginning, middle is the removal of the "W" and tapering back the exposed guide, finally the bottom view shows the almost finished bowls.

This being a TVIS head no further port work will be done... since it is already too big. The mods to the bowls, and seat should improve the volume, and as such since no further work is done on the port, it should also boost the velocity in the port and manifold

......and chamber de-shrouding
                          ......................before.. \/ .................................................. ........ after \/

Notice the machined in "eyebrows" have been mostly blended into the surrounding chamber - no sharp edges remain.

More to come

- Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Sorry for the lack of posts... but it was the weekend

To catch things up a bit, I've now finished 3 of the 4 cylinders, #1 is the last I need to do before I ship it back to Loynings for its 3 angle.

Below is #2 exhaust port in a 3 panel showing progression of the porting work.

There is no special, or additional lighting used. The 3 photos all used the same amount of light. I did use a "gamma" control to allow you to see the top 2 insides easier. I used the same amount of gamma control in all 3 photos so what you see is the progression of an exhaust port in transition.

Getting back to the port, you can see clearly the poor shape, and the poor taper in the first 2 views. You can also plainly see the seat blending between all 3 views. Others things to note... taper of splitter, and a more overall blending to maximize flow.

One last thing..... for those esoteric... the bottom photo.... and today being the 14th of Feb.... Happy Valentines ;)

- Thomas a Kempis

Comment

can't wait to receive mine - will be another two weeks though (managed to source a spare block too if all goes well).

once more 'lovely' work from you ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X