Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1983 Corolla Wagon w/ 4AGE swap - New to older toyotas - fuel pump?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 Corolla Wagon w/ 4AGE swap - New to older toyotas - fuel pump?

Hi there!

I'm new to the old toyota world, as I just acquired a 1983 corolla with a bluetop 4AGE swapped into it. My aim is to make it daily-able, which isn't too horribly far off. I enjoy forums because you find a lot of information from people who've been there, but they're useful tools to learn how to more effectively communicate when it comes to these things. The more you know, I suppose.

Anywhoo, the person I bought it from did the swap. The person who owned it *before* him did the external fuel pump job on it for some reason. So the pumps been there since before the swap.

It's a Bosch 0580254982, which as it turns out is from a '77 BMW.

I had a video of the noise, but now I can't find it and the car's fuel lines are plucked right now. This video that I found, though, perfectly demonstrates the noise it makes, except it is much louder.. (although it is not me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwIV...deringdendrite

The noise happens constantly as the car runs, no changes in pitch or anything. Every once in a while when I start it, it will sounds perfectly normal for maybe one or two seconds before starting in on the noise. The fuel pump that came in the 1986 GTS (the motor donor) was rated at 3 bar, the one that on this car currently is rated for 5. However there are zero fuel delivery issues. Idles fine for the most part, drives perfect, drove it 40 miles a day for a week and a half with no issues to speak of.

I just know that I can't trust it. At least for long. I'm mechanically inclined enough to replace *most* things on the car myself so long as they don't require extensive machining.

What do you all think? Should I replace the pump and hope there's no other issue causing the pump the cavitate (if that'd be the proper term), or try to find the issue before the pump fails? As I said before it sometimes sounds normal for a second, so I KNOW it is capable of making noise at a normal volume. I've also head that "external pumps are just noisy", but mechanically that just doesn't cut it for me.
    Last edited by rcolosi; 03-18-2017, 06:02 PM.

most/many eft pumps have a problem... the push very well, but they don't like to suck. Your fuel tank wasn't designed for efi... so figuring this last bit might be trial and error.

Can you better isolate the pump? In many Euro cars the fuel pump has its own high density rubber foam jacket that helps isolate pump noises.

Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

"Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be."

- Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

Actually, the p.o informed me that you worked on the head for this car. Funny coincidence!

Anyway, the p.o did do some rubber mounting and isolation, which apparently helped with the physical moving around of the pump, but didn't solve the cavitation sounds. If I could be guaranteed that it was simply its operational volume I probably wouldn't chase this problem too far. I've gotten pretty mixed results on my research thus far, though. Some people think that the pump pumping at 5 bar instead of 3 is causing too much strain on the pump, but I would figure the pressure regulator would take care of that. A lot of people think that if the pump is making noise, that no matter what its remaining life, that it is on the road to death. I would love to disbelieve that, seeing as there's no fuel delivery issues, but I'm not about to get stranded 20 miles out of town.

Also for what it's worth, when I replaced the line from the fuel pressure regulator to the return line, I didn't tighten it all the way, and man, was it pissing fuel when I started it. I figured the return line shouldn't have that much fuel going through it right? Is that a result of the extra pressure? Could that be one of many things causing the cavitation?

https://youtu.be/7Cg8SAfq-KI

Also I found my actual video. Not too much different.

Again, thanks for the reply! Enjoy the little bits of sunshine we're getting (if P-land is actually getting any).

Comment

As to noise... My Walbro (intank - 115lph) can be heard when you first turn the key on... always has.......

Your sound... call it what you may, but it sounds a lot like a pump designed to push... trying to suck. Only things I can recommend.... somehow have the pump fed via gravity feed - fuel flows freely to back of pump, OR engineer some kind of intank system... OR a fuel cell??
        Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

"Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be."

- Thomas a Kempis

Comment

I think it's worth investigating to see if there's another in-tank pump that will work in there. You'll likely have to drop the tank to look at that fuel pickup line and see if any in-tank pumps will cross over. Hopefully the hole and bolt pattern for the tank aren't too small. As long as there is a pump and pickup that are smaller, you could always make an adapter plate, basically just two sets of mounting holes. Mount the pump and pickup to the adapter, and the adapter to the tank. I feel there's a fair chance though that there's another pump out there that will bolt up, it's just a bummer Toyota didn't have any EFI engines for the wagon, if they did then we'd KNOW there'd be something out there that would work.
          1986 Corolla GTS 103hp/94 lb-ft
          1993 Saturn SW2

Comment

Working...
          X